SailNet Community - View Single Post - What Is A Boat Really Worth?
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Re: What Is A Boat Really Worth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I think some of the advice to "just make an offer" was made before it was known that you have only seen four boats. It would not be unusual for someone to look at 40 or 50 boats before making an offer. Although it's certainly possible you've already seen the right boat for you, it would be very unusual to make an offer after only seeing four boats. Don't let others rush you into this.

When I bought my boat, we did a shopping trip every weekend for about four months. (Some of those trips were chronicled here, with some similar frustrations to what you have shown.)

I can't remember how many boats we saw, but here's an estimate: 16 trips (different brokerages from Norfolk, VA to Kingston, NY) x 4-6 boats per trip = 64 to 96 boats.

The broker that showed us the first boat had "sized us up" perfectly - he just didn't have the right specimen of boat at the time. The fact that we bought the same model boat from someone else at his own marina frustrated him a bit, and I tease him about it at every boat show. I don't think he minds, because he's a nice guy and he knows I'll likely come his way for my next boat.
I'm going to offer a contrary opinion to the idea of spending time looking at lots of boats, just because I can. A broker that will show you dozens of boats is wasting your time and his/hers flailing around looking for a boat that might work. Far preferable, to me, is a broker that gets to know our needs well enough, "sized us up" as TakeFive says, that he only needs to show us a couple of boats because he's already sorted through what's available and narrowed it down to things that meet the needs we've discussed.

In fact, when we bought the boat we've been living on for the last 11 years, we didn't have to really "look" at all. Based on our criteria, we narrowed it down to just two or three models, then it was merely a matter of waiting for the right example of this particular boat to come up on the market in our price range. As soon as it did, we got an email; a quick back-and-forth to verify condition, and the contract was in place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook