SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bombay Clipper 31
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road
Re: Bombay Clipper 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by contracorriente View Post
Alright, I'm going to sail it tomorrow to test drive it so i'm excited!

The last question is in regards to off shore navigation. Have you owners spent much time sailing this vessel off shore? And one specific question to all: would you sail this vessel across the pacific ocean? I live in Panama and would probably think about crossing the canal and going across the Pacific eventually. Can this boat handle it? By everything mentioned, it would take it much longer than a lot of other boats, but would it make it? Or is that kind of voyage too taxing for this kind of boat?

Thanks!
I have not spent a lot of time offshore on a BC31.

I've never sailed in the Pacific and have no idea what conditions one might encounter on the way. It's my understanding that you would be going downwind mostly and or motoring. Would I sail my old BC31 across that pond? Maybe... I would have no doubts my BC31 would survive the trip. She had survived numerous hurricanes in the water here. I've sailed her in some rough conditions, others above have done the same with theirs. All things being equal, there is a large list of other boats I would prefer to make the trip on. If I was going to live on the boat once I got someplace, then I might lean more towards it. For a 31' boat there is a lot of interior room. I'm not sure anybody can fully answer your questions without knowing your budget, the existing condition of the vessel you are looking at, the amount it would cost to get her passage ready, your skill level, your schedule, your crew, your long term plan once across, your minimum comfort level, etc. I believe a properly setup BC31 could go most anywhere the crew wished to take her just as I suspect nearly any boat of that era would be "able" to make it most anywhere.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to FarCry For This Useful Post:
contracorriente (07-31-2013)