SailNet Community - View Single Post - When someone lists cook as a skill what is expected?
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: When someone lists cook as a skill what is expected?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Dave/Auspicious...you may not be a "chef" but you're welcome in my kitchen anytime! (or should I say Galley)

Thanks for chiming in on this thread, your culinary knowledge and passion for good food is inspiring (even to me)
Thanks Shawn. We'll have to cook together sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"What is the big deal with different ways to cook eggs?"
Argh, therebe the difference between a cook and a seacook. A cook can always send someone down the block to buy what's run out, but a seacook needs to lay in stores ahead of time.
I'm confused. Are you arguing for the sake of arguing? I'm a delivery skipper. I provision for long periods very often. I don't understand what your point is.

We bought 14 dozen eggs in Plymouth and ate any number of things across the Atlantic. Lots of different eggy meals plus contributions to bread and crepes and pancakes. Eggs keep a long time.

Quote:
If you wanted eggs benedict, were there proper english muffins on board? And can the alleged cook make hollandaise sauce, much less spell it?
I can spell Hollandaise. Eggs keep well, butter keeps well, and you can get lemon juice in a bottle that keeps well. If things are bumpy the Hollandaise may break if you don't have a stick blender to build the emulsion quickly but I wouldn't try to make it in sporty conditions anyway, ignoring that eggs Benedict wasn't on my list in the first place. English muffins keep pretty well. You can make them from scratch at sea but that is work I wouldn't usually take up unless things are really calm. Homemade bread makes an adequate substitute if you accept the result isn't really eggs Benedict.

Digression - you do want a stick blender if you cook offshore, even if it means running an inverter or generator. Making mayonnaise, soups, and standing in for a food processor for chopping nuts and other products justify the small space it takes and the power requirement.

You have a lot more flexibility in the first week offshore than later of course.

Quote:
And how will they ever throw together eggs rockefeller, forget about arguing if it needs spinach or dandelion greens, but some thing green has to be aboard.
No feta cheese laid in? Oh, well there goes the greek omelet too!
I don't get the argumentativeness. Actually I do usually provision feta as much for salads and beef as eggs. It freezes well. Without a freezer you can store it in oil for at least a couple of weeks. Cheese is in fact a great component of meals offshore providing protein and storing well.

Spinach doesn't keep worth a darn so if you want eggs Rockefeller you should plan on it in the first few days of a passage. In the first world harvesting dandelion greens risks pesticide and weed killer residue which seems unwise to me.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook