SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help I can't catch fish!
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013

geehaw is on a distinguished road
Re: Help I can't catch fish!

Well I have not had luck with Halibut but have caught yellow eyes and ling cod and tons of Silver salmon and Pink salmon. When I fish for Halibut I just jig with a squid jig with a herring attach. I don;'t anchor because I have no way to pull up 500 feet of rode and anchor. I use motor a little to keep me from drifting to much.

Silvers I troll about 2 to 3 knots and use large flasher followed by a diver followed by small squid usually dark green with a small herring. Use different size divers depending what depth the fish are at. Its hard to keep boat speed down with sails to troll for Silvers so I motor usually.When Silvers are there I am there to fill freezer so sailing takes a back seat.

Pinks I spin cast at fresh water inlets with a pixy and troll with a pixy when sailing. If you keep boat speed down you will catch more but when sailing I just throw out the pixy if pinks are around i pick one up occasionally. I usually just throw them back so don't care if I catch any or not. Good luck ask me more if you want more info. Greg
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook