SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help I can't catch fish!
View Single Post
post #2 of Old 07-27-2013
Re: Help I can't catch fish!

Well I have not had luck with Halibut but have caught yellow eyes and ling cod and tons of Silver salmon and Pink salmon. When I fish for Halibut I just jig with a squid jig with a herring attach. I don;'t anchor because I have no way to pull up 500 feet of rode and anchor. I use motor a little to keep me from drifting to much.

Silvers I troll about 2 to 3 knots and use large flasher followed by a diver followed by small squid usually dark green with a small herring. Use different size divers depending what depth the fish are at. Its hard to keep boat speed down with sails to troll for Silvers so I motor usually.When Silvers are there I am there to fill freezer so sailing takes a back seat.

Pinks I spin cast at fresh water inlets with a pixy and troll with a pixy when sailing. If you keep boat speed down you will catch more but when sailing I just throw out the pixy if pinks are around i pick one up occasionally. I usually just throw them back so don't care if I catch any or not. Good luck ask me more if you want more info. Greg
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome