Re: Replacing engine mounts
I just replaced mine earlier this summer and used a combination of 2x4s and a cheap chain fall that I found at Harbor Freight. However, before I started lifting anything I carefully measured the height of each mount with a caliper so that I could get it back close to alignment afterwards. I had to take the measurement differently for each mount due to the clearance for the caliper, so I made pen marks on the struts and engine beds to get the caliper in the same exact spot later and also took photos with my phone for each one. The pictures helped out immensely because it was hard to remember exactly how I held the caliper or what I was measuring from in the first place. This part worked out better than I had expected and after changing out all the mounts and returning them to the previous measurements my engine was almost perfectly aligned. (In the second attached picture you can see the pen marks on the mount and engine bed in an effort to return the caliper to the exact same spot later.)
As for raising the engine I slowly raised the engine to within half an inch of the top of each mount bolt by turning the bottom nut on each mount. Don't forget to disconnect the driveshaft! Then with the help of one other person, I had them leverage the front of the engine up with a 4 foot 2x4. Because the engine was raised first with the mounts, you only need to raise the engine an inch to swap mounts. I left the rear top nuts loosely on the mounts so that the engine would pivot off the rear mounts and not lift off of them by mistake. For the rear mounts I used a small chain fall attached to the engine lifting point. I used a 4 foot 4x4 spanning across the cockpit seats to attach the chain fall. The chain fall worked well and had a reverse feature to slowly lower it back down when done. While swapping mounts I put a couple of small 2x4 pieces under the oil pan to keep the engine from falling if the chain fall failed. Afterwards when lowering the engine I couldn't understand why the engine would not go all the way down on the mounts - as it turned out I forgot to remove the 2x4s.
I also learned that a standard length box wrench wrench was a bit long to adjust the rear mounts and was barely able to turn the nut. So I bought another wrench and chopped it in half on the chop saw. This stubby wrench worked much better and allowed for much more room to work.
Hope that helps,
Brian & Marya
Pacific Seacraft 34
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.