SailNet Community - View Single Post - Helm control panel question
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2013

dem45133 is on a distinguished road
Helm control panel question

Hello again all.

I still do not know why... but of the sailboats I've owned and those I considered, it seems they spread the gauges and controls all over the cockpit. I have no idea why but there must be a reason. On this Seafarer, the starting/engine panel is underneath the aft seat between your legs, the depth meter on the port back side of the cabin, the knotmeter in the base panel of the starboard cockpit seat... Why? Am I missing something being a novice? Part of it is probably to protect from sea spray I suspect.

Oh, I will be designing up some kind of hard dodger/pilot house also in the future, so all lines will come to me. I'm too old to be running all around the deck and my wife simply can't now. I always be sailing single handed. Thus I want the boat info and lines to come to me (so to speak) while I sit in the shade. (sorry you younguns... your day will come soon enough... before your even realize it, trust me) I really wanted a motorsailer, but can't afford or haul that heavy or pricy... so I'll make one out of this Seafarer sort of. I'll research that later on but the 1st step is a real console and thus the question below.

Since my Seafarer is a pedistal wheel boat I want to design up a whole boat clear covered monitoring console... all engine gauges (tach, oil pres, water temp and starting), depth meter, knotmeter and whatever else, moving map GPS maybe, into a single console in front of the wheel. It already has the pedestal mount compass.

Has any of you built up such an animal? Does someone make one that will not break the bank? Looking for sources and ideas.

Dave

Last edited by dem45133; 07-28-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook