SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help I can't catch fish!
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2013

geehaw is on a distinguished road
Re: Help I can't catch fish!

I get frozen herring from sportsman warehouse usually. Or t the place that sets up the charters. Cheaper there but usually closed when I get there and head out.

Yes you attach the herring right to the jig. For halibut drop it all the way to bottom and just jig up and down bouncing on the bottom. if you have good enough fish finder to give a good bottom picture supposedly they sit behind mounds in the bottom so have to know which way any current is going. My fishfinder is not that accurate. Fish from 100' to how ever deep you willing to reel up from. If ya have it spend the money take a halibut charter you will learn a lot. I don't have the time to get to where the good halibut fishing is. The charter guys have fast boats and it is 4 hours for them. It be 2 days for me. But people do catch them all the way into Port of Vadez but not very often. I don't have the patience to sit there all day and not catch anything.

As far as depth for salmon its trial and error. If they are jumping fish high. If not fish low. And ask around at the charters and tackle shops, they usually will give good local info.

Where I sail there is a very small King run in early April. I am never there that early.Pinks run mid June to mid July. Silvers run around Labor Day (end of August). There is no run of reds unfortunately, as they are my favorite. You really need to ask around to find out when they are around and where they are.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook