SailNet Community - View Single Post - The final solution - what I came up with regarding auxiliary propulsion (pic heavy)
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2013
Don't sail anymore

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Re: The final solution - what I came up with regarding auxiliary propulsion (pic heav

For anyone reading this old thread who doesn't know, I am no longer a believer in motorless/purist nonsense and I cringe when I read my own insanity about what we wanted. When we were doing the boat I was obsessed with this vision of lunacy fueled by reading books I should have never picked up, as well as my experiences locally with sailing and not using the diesel - and my own orneriness about proving I can do what others say I cannot do. I still like the notion of a sail only vessel (I always will in some way), but what I really like I later came to realize was building neat stuff that looks good, which does not typically run parallel with practicality. She basically became a useless work of art, a "theory" boat that had no real value (financially or otherwise) .

We should have left the motor, simply done a work boat finish over a few months time, and had at it. Instead I viewed the boat as art and lore, and proceeded as such. Really stupid, and even though it was a great experience I cannot recommend it to anyone who wants sanity in their lives. Keep your motor, and don't refit something you have to re tie every 4 hours so it won't scrape a piling and scratch your hard, wasted work all up.

Points to consider:

1- No motor/anemic o/b makes it very difficult, and yes, somewhat dangerous (although the latter can be debated - but not by me as I don't care anymore). Dropping the o/b on the bracket every time I needed motor assist was wasted time. The "challenge" gets old very quick.
2- Composting heads are gross, and not really composting heads. They are simply poop/pee separators and poop dryers. No composting takes place in a lived in boat. There simply isn't enough time.
3- Beauty takes maintenance, lots and lots of maintenance.
4- Wood stoves are sooty and dirty (but do keep a dry boat).
5- Mahogany is soft. Varnish is a pain.
6- Hank on's just "work", and so will you if you have them instead of a furler.
7- Alcohol is a lousy cooking fuel, and oil lamps leak all over the place and cannot be seen externally very well at all. They also make you go blind from the dim lighting inside.
8- Having foot pump only water gets old, maybe less so for the drummers out there, but for me it got old (and I do actually play the drums).
9 - A pure sailing craft offers the least pleasure to work ratio.
10- It isn't what it appears, as written by those who make cruising cash by selling books.
11- People who cannot do things unless they take it all the way should not refit old boats while reading Jay Fitzgerald, the Pardeys, etc.

We haven't owned a boat for a long time now, and other than learning/honing my fabrication skills (which was actually the biggest pleasure out of this whole thing), the whole affair was basically a huge waste of time. Just go sailing and don't ruin it for yourself, even though good arguments can be made that counter everything I just wrote above.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook