SailNet Community - View Single Post - Yanmar Oil Pressure Pegged
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2013

dem45133 is on a distinguished road
Re: Yanmar Oil Pressure Pegged

"I have driven for hours with the gauge just above zero and the proof for me that it's the sender is that the buzzer works off a different sender and even when pressure is effectively zero, the buzzer doesn't go off and the engine runs just fine."

Wow... thats pretty risky to me. If the engine is running solid lifters, you may not be able to hear the low pressure indicators (or high pressure limited flow indicators) until its too late and its been hurt... likely catastrophically. I intend to go to a purely mechanical oil pressure and also the water temp gauge when I re-due my console. I've had to replace sensors in a couple vehicles over time... but if the oil pressure gauge or light buzzer does anything out of norm... its always been my practice to shut down.

Also super high pressures generally indicate a blockage... either through a malfunctioning regulation device or an plugged line. Learned this the hard way on Dad's 52 Dodge pickup... it had always run high oil pressure from the day he bought it used... after a couple months it seized. Upon opening up it was totally gummed, crudded up everywhere and had blocked the linage. All the lines had to be opened with wire and pipe cleaners. Turned out upon inquiry that the previous owner (a shoe string relative) had NEVER changed the oil or filter since new... just added oil if the stick said it needed it. Think it had 50000 miles when we bought it... considering its abuse it did well to go that far.

Oil or temp issues... its good practice to always shut down first... well unless you LIKE to buy replacement engines or install head gaskets (smile).

Another idea is two sets of guages... one set electric driven for the topsides console... and a second set of purely mechanical gauges on the engine or in the engine compartment as a backup. Takes nothing to install.

Just my opinion... but I been around and owned a lot of farm, industrial, and regular transportation engines for 45 years.

Last edited by dem45133; 07-28-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook