SailNet Community - View Single Post - Our New Boat
Thread: Our New Boat
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
There's not much to adding a second charger. I added my second one.
There was already an a/c circuit available so I used that to power the charger. You might need/want to add a second circuit for the second charger.
I've read somewhere that if all your charging comes into the battery bank at one end, you can get uneven wear on the batteries at one end vs the other. Don't know if that is true but it justified my running the second charge input to the other end of the bank. So I have one charger feeding pos & neg at one end of the bank and the second charger to the pos/neg at the other end of the house bank. This also helps avoid stacking too many lugs on one terminal. Of course fuses are in there too.

I like having the redundancy of 2 chargers and I also have the inverter as a separate unit.

If they are both 3 stage smart chargers with matching setups, there will be no issues of fighting each other. Easiest solution is to buy a match to the current unit but not sure it's all that important as long as you can match profiles.

Last edited by xort; 07-28-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook