SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

How are lifeline stanchons mounted?

3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Strait Shooter 
#1 ·
I will be rebedding all my deck hardware shortly and I was looking into how hard it would be to get at the stanchons from below deck. I can not see any nuts. Just the bolts comming through? Although they seem to be pretty solid.

#4 ·
I have some deck hardware that is mounted through aluminum plates that are sandwiched in the deckcore. The plates must have been drill and tapped because there are no nuts, just the bolts sticking through.

A major pain in the ass because they were bolted using flatheads, and its impossible to get enough leverage to remove them after 30years

#7 ·
#8 ·
An equally big benefit of those "holey rail" stanchion bases can be the increased side deck width you gain. Numerous small boats have unusable side decks because the normal stanchion bases intrude so far.

The first time I sailed a Grampian 26 I thought of them - they would be one of the very first changes I would make if I bought one of those boats - you would actually be able to use the side decks instead of clambering over that high cabin top.

#9 ·
My 'toe rails' are two inch thick teak that is 6 inches wide, sitting on a bulwark that is from 8 to 3 inches high.
They are screwed in. It would take 10 inches of bolt to get to where you can put a nut on it.
Seems light weight? It's been there for 27 years.

#10 ·
The downside to bolting stanchions into the toe rail is that the toe rail now has to be much stronger, and the stanchion will be levering it off the hull/deck joint and opening that up in typical construction. This is not a one-size-fits-all retrofit, in some cases it could be a very bad idea. In others, an equally good one.

And of course if you have modern slotted aluminum RAILS designed to be used with "stuff", there's no way to bolt stanchions onto them. Not a lot of heavy teak lumber rails on small craft.

#11 ·
The stanchion holder has a slot in it which fits over the toe rail, It is then bolted to the toe rail and then the deck. Our toe rails are bolted onto the hull deck joint with 4 inch centers, all great strength vs a stanchion base embedded in the gelcoat and bolted through it.

If the stanchion gets struck or wears over time it wobbles in the base vs eventually weaking the gel coat and causing leaks like many stanchions.

You have to have the proper toe rails of course, but this design is a pretty good one. As was stated you it also gives you more room on the gunwhales. The disadvantage is they are more outboard and you must be careful of pilings when docking.

#12 ·
The stanchion holder has a slot in it which fits over the toe rail, It is then bolted to the toe rail and then the deck. Our toe rails are bolted onto the hull deck joint with 4 inch centers, all great strength vs a stanchion base embedded in the gelcoat and bolted through it.
Unless I'm mistaken, with those rail mounts, the bolt that goes through the deck utilizes one of the existing holey rail bolt holes as well, so no extra drilling.

#13 ·
#15 ·
That's what crew or helpers are for - they hold the other end steady. :D

#17 ·
In that situation the screw carries some of the bedding with it as it is screwed in - just make sure you start with lots.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.