SailNet Community - View Single Post - First Solo Dinghy Sail!
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013

handsomebob is on a distinguished road
Re: First Solo Dinghy Sail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike21070 View Post
Bob, I see you are in Nashville. I'll be there visiting some family in a couple of weeks. Who knows, I might end up there when I'm done over here. How's the sailing there?

Thanks for the advice about the jib. Ok, so I have to ask: do you mean put the jib up instead of the main or in addition to it? I ask because it seemed a little scary to put up one sail, and now I should have put up two? I really burned out my battery for the trolling motor just getting out of the marina.

Mike
I am in Birmingham now and sail at Birmingham Sailing Club. Lake sailing in Nashville is good. In Nashville there is dinghy racing at Percy Priest Yacht Club and Harbor Island Yacht club. You should go out and take a look and try to get on as crew if you have the time. You will learn a lot that way from experienced skippers.

sail with both up. Like the comment earlier said to sail up wind close hauled at first. I am still learning and single hand when my son does not want to sail. I try not to go out alone yet if it is blowing much more than 10 mph.

Bob
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook