SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat Size
Thread: Boat Size
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013

awaywego is on a distinguished road
Re: Boat Size

Really appreciate your thoughts jimgo. We have a Catalina 25 right now, so I have no idea why Catalinas haven't been a big part of our search so far. I agree that they aren't ocean crossers, but luckily, that's isn't in our plans at all right now. In fact, when we first decided to become cruisers in a few years, we immediately started getting overwhelmed about boat issues, navigation issues, money issues, safety issues and the list went on and on. But we finally took a step back, recommitted, and set our goals to be very achievable. We're not trying to cross oceans, just head south down the ICW for a while. As we get comfortable with that, maybe cross over to Freeport. If we like it, head to some of the other out islands. From there, we'll just see what our confidence and our wallet allows. When we simplified our vision, it didn't seem so crazy anymore, we refocused, and now we're working to make it all happen.

We read a personal finance blog and an article was written about the power of optimism. I'm a big believer in optimism. You kinda have to be on these forums...many people will list all the reasons why you can't go or shouldn't go. I appreciate all of the advice, but sometimes you have to block out things you don't want to hear. So anyway, the writer said " the very act of believing in the viability of a bold plan, greatly affects the chances of you succeeding at it." I'm gonna go with that.

By the way, those listings you posted are all great! I like that Catalina has such a great sailing association and availability of parts so we're gonna take a good hard look!