SailNet Community - View Single Post - cutting down aluminum masts
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013

knuterikt is on a distinguished road
Re: cutting down aluminum masts

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveitwell View Post
Ive recently took dow some aluminum masts of an old ketch rigged boat to replace my wood ones. The main mast is three feet too tall and the spreaders too this makes it easy to figure out how much to cut off. The gooseneck can be reriveted easy. The problem I have is how to cut a straight cut around the mast. Normally for something like this I woul just measure several times from the current end around the mast and connect the dots. The current end however is on an angle. Makeing the marking of the mast very difficult. Any sugestions that arent "dont cut down the mast" would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
If I understand you correct, you want to cut off a piece off the mast at an square angle?

If the mast profile i straight (no taper) in the section you are going to cut you can use this method.

Get hold of a piece of paper with square corners and parallel sides that is larger than the circumference of the mast.

When I made the boom for my boat I taped together two pieces of A4 printing paper (same as Legal in US ?) with overlap, short end to short end making sure the sides where parallel.

Wrap this sheet around the mast make sure the overlap is parallel and tape it onto itself.
slide the paper with one of the edges to where you want to cut and tape in place.

Cut the mast with a good hack saw.
Start with a shallow cut around the mast parallel to the paper edge, now you have a groove to cut in.

Remember to have good support under the mast section where you are cutting so you get a clean cut without breaking in the final piece.

Good luck with the new mast.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook