SailNet Community - View Single Post - stiffen sails - how often?
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Re: stiffen sails - how often?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
That would last less than 4 hours, or you'd need to see a doctor.
I am quite sure seeing a doctor wouldn't be my first choice if it lasted more than 4 hours... I never could understand that tagline in the commercial.

But back to the question at hand. Sailcare is more than just a re-resin process, I know they also fix sails, sew, reshape, cut, and generally do most of what a loft can do, but also clean and re-resin sails. Honestly as long as you aren't expecting a NEW sail back from them they are a viable option for keeping an old sail functional. I am actually considering hitting them up because I have a 30yo sail I rarely use, that is actually OK except for a pulled stitch in a couple places, and it's missing a leech line. IF I could get a new leech line on it, and repair those couple stitches... then clean it, and such, the sail itself is actually not blown out. Might be a good beater sail then. Right now it's nearly useless because it luffs like crazy without a proper tensioned leech.

I would say don't do the re-resin process more than once... it's really a process for your "practice" sails, or second string sails. If you primary racing sails are in need of care, I'd say they likely need to become your practice set, and it's time for new ones.

Oh and Catalina 25 you say? Check out http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/ No this is not a commercial, its the class association for the Catalina 25.