SailNet Community - View Single Post - cutting down aluminum masts
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Re: cutting down aluminum masts

Knutterikt was dead-on. No pipefitter would have though about it for 2 seconds, he would have simply reached for his pipe wrap.

In fitting a new mast there are numerous structural questions, and without sounding condescending, if this required pause I have to believe there are other subtleties involved. What will the new mast rest on (the old block will be wrong)? Do the spreaders need moved or changed in length? Spreader angles? Is the shroud base changed? How do the weights of boats compare? How do you intend to lift and place the mast? Are you replacing the standing rigging--I assume you must be, as the terminals are certainly different. I'm not saying you must use a rigger, but I would certainly talk to someone who understands the engineering and the practicalities. How to cut the mast is the simple part.

And I would consider what adding 3 feet to my rig would do, as an option. You've certainly saved some weight aloft, so I bet she would stand it. But I'm sure you have considered all of this; changing all of the rigging and sails is real money.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook