SailNet Community - View Single Post - Chartplotter and transducers
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Re: Chartplotter and transducers

Hi Guys,

To the OP, what info do you want to display on the plotter? You could have depth (and maybe SONAR display), Speed Over Ground (SOG or GPS speed), Speed Through Water (STW or what the knot / log paddlewheel) reports, water temperature, and possible wind information too (true and apparent wind speed and direction).

There is really no way to know if your current transducers are compatible with the new plotter unless you have part numbers.

Many of the new plotters use networked sensors, and unless your current transducers output NMEA information, you are out of luck.

Lastly, you may or may not be able to have two depth transducers. This will work if the transducers are on different frequencies and will NOT work if they are on the same. For example, my boat came with ancient (and functioning) datamarine instruments for wind, depth, and speed (STW). I installed a modern Lowrance plotter / SONAR unit (LMS337 C DF) that included a dual frequency SONAR transducer (50 / 200 Hz). I mounted the transducer to the hull with some wax and it works great. However, if I run it on 50hz the older depth meter doesn't work - it blinks 0 every other second or so. If I change the Lowrance unit to work at 200 Hz (or maybe the other way around) then both depth units work fine.

My datamarine units are analog and my plotter can't use the information.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook