SailNet Community - View Single Post - understand 12v electrical
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013

SSBN506 is on a distinguished road
understand 12v electrical

I am trying to setup our 1986 Catalina 30 TRBS with a good electrical system. But the more technology I throw at it the more I seem to get confused.

The first ting I did was get a clipper br-1 battery monitor. The then got 2 6volt 232 amp hour batteries. I spend 99% of my time on a mooring so solar is how I decided to keep them charged.

The first thing I noticed was my batteries were not getting above 85% charge or that is what the battery monitor told me. I have 2 30 watt solar panels conceited to a cheap charge regulator. After doing sum research I determined my charge regulator was a shunting one and the y take forever to charge to 100% if they ever do. So I now have a mppt charge controller on the way. A bit overkill for 60w panels but I may add more in the future.

Now here is where my question starts. I put my boat on the dock to charge it from shore power to se if I can get close to 100%. I changed the battery with Noco Genius g7200 smart battery charger that is rated for 230 amp hours.

When I went the next morning I reset by battery monitor and put a 5 amp load on the system. The battery monitor quickly went to 100% the dropped 1% every ten seconds until it steady off at 85% and 12.7 ish volts. So I charge the battery's again. When I get back same thing 100% on my battery monitor charger isn't charging any more. 5 amp load and it drops to 85%.

So my question is why cant I get my batteries closer to 100% or is my battery monitor or charger the problem. Could my 6 volts that are new not be holding a charge? Do I have a charger that just isn't very good and cant get it to 100%?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook