SailNet Community - View Single Post - Key West
Thread: Key West
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Key West

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthoops View Post
Great write-up and pictures! We've been to Key West twice (before we were bitten by the sailing bug) and really enjoyed it.

Our retirement fantasy is to sail down to Key West from Connecticut every November to escape the winter and return in time for a May arrival in Connecticut. The best of both worlds.
Go for it! But you may find you are better off staying in Marathon and sailing to KW periodically. As I said, the monthly is $36/foot at KWB plus electricity!! Of course, Marathon isn't getting any cheaper either. They just upped their rates to $21.5/foot. Boot Key is only $300 ish, but you might as well say $350 when it is all done.

The mooring field in KW is wide open to a northern. I have never stayed there, but it seriously looks like a rocky-rolly all nighter. No thanks.

If you are retired military, they have bases there you can put your boat for a LOT cheaper. We have a retired military friend that showed us around the bases. They look pretty nice. The bases will be a ride to Duval, but the cost will be a lot better.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Cruisingdad For This Useful Post:
cthoops (07-31-2013)