SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mooring/Anchoring Techniques...
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Mooring/Anchoring Techniques...

Given the many newbies here, and my many years of expertise on the water, I feel I should share some of the various methods I have witnessed with my fellow sailors. Now everyone knows what a Bahamian Moor is, a single anchor, and of course the tandem, but here are a few we have seen over the years that you may not have seen (yet). Most involve some level of alcohol (before and after), So, here goes:

1) Nazi Moor: This is when you pull into an anchorage about ten feet deep, then drop the anchor and around 250 feet of chain... just to be sure. It always helps when the anchorage is full.

2) Shot Put Moor: Ahh... well practiced amongst our motor boating friends. To correctly do this technique, you must take off your shirt (not you girls... that is a different technique), stand on the bow, and throw the anchor as far as you possibly can away from the boat. The further you throw it, the better the hold. Roughly around the time the anchor hits the water (and before it hits bottom), you scream back to the captain and tell him the anchor is set.

3) The Free Dive Moor: The Shot Put Moor, but when you forget to tie the bitter end on to the boat.

4) Tractor-Pull Moor: Not fully appreciated or possible by many sailboaters, this technique involves dropping your anchor with no more than 1:2 scope (always best when in a muddy bottom) and pulling the anchor backwards for a quarter mile or so under full power until sufficient bottom and sea life have effectively wrapped around the anchor and any retrieval of your old ground tackle is no longer possible.

5) The Walmart Moor: Mushroom anchor. Quarter inch braid. $19.99. Enough said.

6) The Capitol Hill Moor - Very similar to the Bahamian Moor, but with more anchors and shifting winds. This technique looks really good when you put it down, but come the next day, you realize that the mess of twisted lines are impossible to get undone and you have really screwed the pooch. Hello pocket knife and goodbye rhode. No one will know when you cut it loose. Ahh, it's just money.

7) Chartplotter Moor: Maybe the easiest technique to identify and possibly the only technique where you won't drag. To properly set the Chartplotter Moor, you must steer via chartplotter and not look up. When you run your boat hard aground at high tide, get out and walk your anchor and set it by hand so that you don't come off accidentally. Always best if it is set where everyone can see that you are anchored (the prop sticking out of the water wasn't enough) and yes, you really are an idiot and boating should be licensed.

8) Kamikaze Moor: I first witnessed this technique in Longboat Key. It works by putting someone that has never steered the boat before at the wheel. You drop the anchor and tell them to back down on it. Of course, they don't bother to look backwards as they place the throttle in full reverse. On the other hand, the boater behind you clearly sees what is happening and tries to abandon ship with very sailor-like language. An old fashioned meet-and-greet - marine style.

To all newbies, please make sure you thoroughly study these techniques. If you do not practice them yourselves, you will certainly see them on the water. You can now accurately point them out!!

Just trying to help.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Last edited by Cruisingdad; 07-30-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook