SailNet Community - View Single Post - Main and Jib Trailing Edge Flapping
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Re: Main and Jib Trailing Edge Flapping

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
They don't "flap" under 25 knots? If they did, I'd say they may be blown out (depending on age) and you should go see your sailmaker. But if you see a lot of "belly", that could be an indication to do the same. Normally you'd tighten halyards and outhaul (main) to flatten a baggy sail, but that will only accomplish minor flattening.

Have you moved jib leads forward some? that could tighten the leech, though possibly too much if indeed the leech is all stretched out.

Personally, in 25 knots, just about all of my main and jib would "flap", I'd be feathering just to keep the boat on her feet. Although, typically in heavy air it's the forward part of the sails you carry the luff in, especially the main.

The more I type, the more i think you may have blown-out sails with too much draft and stretch for breeze of any strength. But a sailmaker, I ain't. Invite one to come out for a sail and listen.
In winds below about 20 knots I have no flapping. Between 20- 25 I can get a minor amount. Above 25 knots I get constant flapping on the main and jib whenever I try to point into the wind, even after bearing off the wind (say 55 deg) I still get some flapping. I have tried moving the jib leads fore and aft and still get a flap. I have tried significantly reefing the roller jib and still get a flap at the trailing edge.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook