SailNet Community - View Single Post - Give way when hoisting the main?
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013

Tanley is on a distinguished road
Re: Give way when hoisting the main?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JomsViking View Post
The definition of a power driven Vessel is
"b.The term 'power-driven vessel' means any vessel propelled by machinery;"

So You're not correct, unless the engine is propelling the Vessel (i.e. in gear) you're not a powerdriven Vessel.
We always give way but sail in a busy harbor so we expect to not receive the same courtesy. Lot's of other conditions would need to be met relative to day shapes/lights for RAM and if single handed, NUC. Unlikely you'd be able to see the exhaust pumping anyway unless overtaking the other vessel.

JV's comment above is a fun point to discuss though, and I'm not sure what is technically correct. A sailing vessel is defined in Rule 3 (c) as "any vessel under sail provided that propelling machinery, if fitted, is not being used". It isn't explicit either way in the Col Regs, but our instructor was of the opinion (and I agree) that an engine on, even at idle, is in use and would qualify a s/v as a m/v. Keep in mind that rule 18 specifies the burdened vessels as "underway", not necessarily "making way". So there is some precedent that mechanical propulsion does not need to be engaged to have assigned responsibility for ROW.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook