SailNet Community - View Single Post - New Catalina Pricing
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013

Siamese is on a distinguished road
Re: New Catalina Pricing

Not everything is negotiable, which is why I'm asking specifically about Catalina.

Peavey guitar and amplifier dealerships used to be very much in demand by music retailers, because Peavey fixed the selling prices, and would terminate any dealer that varied from their pricing. Gibson and Fender was generally discounted to 30 to 40 percent, but dealer knew they'd make money on Peavey.

Given that Catalina will require a buyer to get permission to buy from another dealer suggests to me that there's a lot of protection going on, and I want to know if it extends to selling price.

As an aside, I could tell you a dozen dumb things my dealer did on my Catalina 309. Here's one:
My boat developed a LOT of gelcoat cracks in the first season. After months of letters, phone calls, and photos direct to Frank Butler of Catalina, he finally authorized my dealer to make repairs. The dealer sent their best man to do the repairs. He showed up with a stick and some sort of epoxy or putty goop, and began applying it directly to the hairline cracks, which averaged 12 inches in length. The goop trail was about 3/8" wide and about 1/16" high. Then he let the goop dry. Done! Seriously. He never ground open the cracks, and never sanded and polished the repairs. He had a maze of what looked like a mole infestation on my decks. I kicked him off my boat and started calling Frank Butler again.

And that's typical of several things this bozo dealer did. So, yeah, I'm going to have to hold my to do business with this idiot again.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook