SailNet Community - View Single Post - What Is A Boat Really Worth?
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Re: What Is A Boat Really Worth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
A seller would be wise to choose the yard at which the boat will be hauled and have the haul and launch paid in advance. A buyer should have no problem with pre-paying this. There is no way for them to get out of the obligation and the good faith deposit will be fully retained by the brokers anyway and should not be available for this. I have this vague recollection that I was actually required to pay the yard in advance at some point, although, I believe it was the yard's requirement. I was hundreds of miles away and they probably thought they would never collect, if I balked, and they didn't know me.
I have bought quite a few boats over the years, and not once has the seller paid for, chosen the yard or made the appointment for my survey or surveyor. Were those to be terms of the sale, I would look dimly at the deal and wonder why.

It is incumbent on the prudent buyer to arrange his own inspections, choose the yard and indeed pay for it, often ahead of time or certainly at the inspection. I actually had two inspections that the yard would not let me in to the pit without word that the haulout and such were paid in full.

Similarly, I have had my surveyor tell me that there are showstoppers on the visual in the water inspection that would render useless the haulout and I stopped the survey there. I have also had the yard notify ME, no one else, that they see an issue that needs to be addressed. Would "I" like it handled while in the sling, or if not sure about the sale - do it later. Same with bottom painting- I have asked the yard before hand, should the survey be OK, can we paint the bottom later in the afternoon or set and block the boat while it is in the sling.

Of course the risk is the seller may get something for nothing from me, but I usually have the deal locked in before work proceeds.

You are the Buyer, use your power to get what you want, and where you want the boat gone over.

YMMV
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook