SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Holy Aquari-tantrums, Batman!!

OK, I totally realize that this is "armchair quarterbacking" (or navigating, or whatever), but...

1) If there is friction among the crew before you even leave the dock, it should be a HUGE red flag. The tension of being away from land and in close quarters is bound to only magnify such friction.

B) If the owner/skipper has the boat nowhere near prepared, and is skimping on basics like jack-lines, for a 2000+ nm passage (much less a race) you should be way beyond red flags and in the shooting off of flares territory (or "Help Mr. Wizard, I don't wanna be a TransPac sailor anymore!!!" territory).

III) If you say the magic words "Mayday, Mayday, Mayday" the USCG is obligated to respond and at least come check things out. If the skipper/owner was truly putting you and the others in mortal danger, it might just be time to call in the calvary (granted, I wasn't there, but the story is sounding pretty close to that "mortal danger" threshold to me), or just hog-tie "Capt. Queeg" and sail the damned boat yourself to Hawaii. Either option is gonna force you to do some serious "splainin' " once you get to dry land, but if there is real doubt as to whether you're gonna' get to dry land under the circumstances as they are, it's probably worth it.

In any case, I'm gonna nuke some popcorn and get ready for the rest of the story.....
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

Last edited by SlowButSteady; 07-30-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook