SailNet Community - View Single Post - New Catalina Pricing
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: New Catalina Pricing

I'm not sure where you're located, but I think that some of the Catalina Dealers in New Jersey and Maryland are all owned by the same family. So be careful when you go to another dealer - you may be dealing with the same people.

Since the 1970s there have been federal regulations preventing manufacturers from fixing their dealers' prices. There's a reason they call it Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price. If the dealers are not budging on price it's probably because they have insufficient margin to allow for it, especially if you're buying a stripped-down boat with few extras. As others said, they probably have fatter margins on the add-ons, and that's where you could negotiate a better deal.

I am not sure about the territorial exclusivity of dealers as you describe it. I would think that there would be antitrust issues with that. A free marketplace means that dealers need to compete with each other for your business, so you should be able to pick without having to justify it. Just be prepared to take your boat a long distance if you need warranty service.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook