SailNet Community - View Single Post - What Is A Boat Really Worth?
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: What Is A Boat Really Worth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Julie seems prone to allowing the broker to control the sale.

The broker's advice to ask the broker about the meaning of the contract is quite comical.
I think you're forgetting what it was like the first time a person enters into the boat buying world. You decide to look at boats and usually the first person to greet you is a broker. If not, then it's an owner. Either way, both will "educate" you. I took that and presented it here and elsewhere to get feedback. Then I began getting an education from other perspectives. It's a process. There was never any intention to allow one side of the equation provide all the information.

FWIW James, I have read many of your posts and they offer a different perspective from that of the broker, one that any boat buying newb needs to hear. When I began seriously looking a month & a half ago, I wasn't even in kindergarten. Today I feel I at least have graduated the 8th grade. We're trying to get as educated as we can while looking for the right boat and that will continue. My father was an attorney. It's drilled into my head you never sign anything you don't fully understand and agree with. And I won't.

While many here have encouraged moving into the offer stage of the process, this portion of the thread shows how important it is to understand the legal aspects of the process as well as the perspectives of all the parties. That's why I was so confused why anyone would suggest making an offer without any mention of understanding the legalities first. From what I've been reading here, even for the experienced boat buyer, the legalities of the boat buying process are not crystal clear.

The more I read, the more I'm seeing an attorney familiar with marine sales contracts (didn't even know they existed until recently) is far more valuable than a selling broker (as in, "no contest"). But where do you find one?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook