SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bunch of questions replacing wood up top.
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013

abrahamx is on a distinguished road
Bunch of questions replacing wood up top.

First heres a pic of my new cockpit locker doors.

My step father made them. One problem is that he used Fir and not mahogany or teak because of cost. I would gladly have paid for teak (I think). Anyway, I thought they looked great and way better than redoing my teak would look. So hit me up with your thoughts on using fir. We will be varnishing it. My step father spent 7 or 8 years sailing the east and west coast of northern south america, but he also kicked over a winch handle and, while undoing my wood he lost the spin halyard up the mast. . He claimes as long as I keep it coated it will be fine. I am guessing I should wolmanize and or paint the underside as it will be unacessable in the future for further coats of varnish. My main worry. My other questions involve reattaching the new wood. they were screwed into just fiberglass as far as I can tell. I was thinking I could drill the first hole only then attach then mark and line up the other holes one at a time. Or I was thinking of just patching the small screw holes and just redrilling when we are ready. Whats my best bet and if I do patch what should I use? thanks for any help. I have yet to look myself but he claims he cant get to the underside of the winch to remove them so we can remove the winch island. He says there is an acess hole on the starboard side but not on the port side so we may have to cut a acess hole. any thoughts/advice on this. The boat is a tartan 30 if it matters.

Last edited by abrahamx; 07-31-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook