SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best Route: Great Lakes to East Coast?
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: Best Route: Great Lakes to East Coast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
We're planning to begin the trip south next season (from Lake Superior to the Caribbean). The plan is to take the St. Lawrence route and to spend as much time as possible cruising the Maritimes and hopefully NFLD.

As my tag line suggests, my wife and I like to move slow, so we're only planning to get down to Lake Ontario (or perhaps the Montreal area) in the first season. I've never sailed the lower Great Lakes (including Michigan), so this will allow us the time to explore.

My current question (lots more to come): Does anyone have any good recommendations for winter storage in Lake Ontario, preferably on the Canadian side? Ideally I'd like an inexpensive yard which allows DIY boat work. We're even toying with the idea of wintering it in the water and living aboard (as some people do down in L. Ontario). Boat is a 37' full-keel, 28,000#.
Mike,

Keep me posted when you get near Mt. Desert Island. If I am around I would like to say hello. Perhaps show you the islands near here? If I am "away" my mooring could be available. I will be interested in your trip. We are planning a long loop in the next couple of years. Up the Hudson, headed to Duluth. Returning down the St Laurence. Probably a 3 season journey. I will be looking for storage options, too.

Sounds like a great plan.

Down