SailNet Community - View Single Post - pulled anchor and sailed away...
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013

SailingJackson is on a distinguished road
Re: pulled anchor and sailed away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutoyz View Post
Now I know I am officially hooked...

Rather than start that noisy enging leaving a little cove yesterday I just raised the main, pulled up on the anchor, fell off and sailed away. Nice, quiet, and smooth as silk.

I am really starting to dislike the sound of an engine
If there's enough wind to make the anchor difficult to pull, there is a trick to it. Raise the main, lock the tiller/wheel, and sheet in pretty tight. That will result in the boat tacking back and forth about the anchor. After the boat tacks, the rode goes limp and you can pick it up, just make sure you have it cleated off before you sail over the top of it, so it will then pull tight and tack again after it crosses over. You can get 120 feet of rode in within 3 or 4 tacks, with very little work. If you get the timing right, you'll be sailing directly over the anchor with the rode cleated off on the last pass. You'll feel a bit of a bump as the inertia of the boat pulls the anchor out of the bottom. You are SOL if you don't have the rode cleated as it goes tight and can easily get hurt. If you get the timing right and there is a bit of wind, the process described is far far less work than pulling in 100 or so feet of rode manually with a 12 knot wind against you.

If you're using a powered windlass to lift, be aware that most manufacturers recommend the engine at high idle while using the windlass due to the very high current load. Certainly a less aesthetic process.

GTJ
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook