SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hull-deck joint on Dufours
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2007
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
I think a lot depends on which Dufour you are thinking about. The new 34 and 44 are the future for them and in my opinion constructed as such. They have also done fairly well in Europe racing circles.

That said, I have sailed on a 33 and 37 and was not very impressed with the quality. These were both 2002 I believe and from construction, fit out, rigs, etc they left a lot to be wished for. The 37 was actually a pretty good sailer, the 33 very poor. The holding tank in these boats was a 5 gallon jug that you could open a cabinet and SEE the level. A hose in a jug. Not pretty.

I fell in love with the looks of the 44 at a boat show when it was first introduced. I really wanted the 34 version when it came out and that is when I started to look seriously. The exchange rate changed to the negative for the US market and the boat all of a sudden was 20% more for a boat that was competitive prior to the exchange rate. It was not worth 20% more than a comparable US made boat. Dufour/Gib Sea are price point below their owner Beneteau, but Bene's are made here and are not subject to the exchange rate.

All that said, I have not looked at a lot of Dufours outside of the 34 and 44 recently. I am assuming based on your location that this may be a charter mamagement deal. If so, good luck.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook