SailNet Community - View Single Post - Key West
Thread: Key West
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: Key West

I know of three boats that rode out hurricanes in Sister Creek, said it was like being in a mill pond, and during the same time Boot Key Harbor was a wash-machine. They all spider webbed their boats in the mangroves and stayed aboard to ride out the storms. I've been through Sister Creek in 40 MPH winds and it was flat as a pool table.

I was hoping to sail down again in 2014/15, but my wife said if I did, I would be available to the ladies because I would damned well be single again. I told her "Don't tempt me." I should be out of the hospital in a few days.

I will be driving down this winter to Marathon, then to several other locations where I'll meet up with friends and play some music. Should be there by the end of January or early February, and hopefully, spend at least two or three weeks in Marathon.

Marathon, IMO, caters more to a somewhat older crowd, folks ranging from 45 to 85 and older. Those under 45 tend to migrate more to Key West and the party hearty lifestyle. The folks in Marathon love to party, probably more than those in Key West, but they don't get totally plastered and end up sleeping on a bench or someone's lawn. The Marathon crew loves older music, loves to dance, loves to sing, and they sure drink a lot better quality booze.

Cheers,

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook