SailNet Community - View Single Post - pulled anchor and sailed away...
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: pulled anchor and sailed away...

When I purchased this boat, I thought she was a motorsailor for the most part. How wrong I was!
In the last year we've sailed about 2000 miles in the West Indies and I doubt we have put 10 hours on the engine, and most of that is idling when leaving a crowded anchorage under sail, just as a precaution.
Most of our anchorages are north to south bays with an easterly breeze, so we must beat up into the anchorage. As the wind is generally 18 to 25 knots, we can be screaming into a bay at 7 to 9+ knots and that's just a tad fast for me. We'll douse the main about a half mile from the place we want to anchor (longer if we can't make it on one tack, obviously), slowing the boat to a more reasonable 5 to 7 knots. If the wind is especially strong, like Christmas winds, we'll still be footing it along pretty quickly, so with each tack the Yankee gets rolled up a few turns. By the time I turn head to wind to drop the pick, the Yankee can be the size of a bandanna and we are creeping up into the wind at less than a knot. As Nikki drops the pick I furl what's left of the jib and walk up to the foredeck to help her with the snub line.
We will not sail through a crowded anchorage; it's not that we can't, but why would we? We're sailing in and out so I'd rather have a bit of room around us in the morning to make sailing out easier. Not that we're out in the middle of the bay either, just not crammed in the middle of the crowd. Of course, there are those times when the bareboats scamper in at dusk and surround us like Indians around the covered wagons, but they are usually early risers, so they're gone before we even have our coffee.
We have yet to sail this boat to a dock, but since we only dock three times a year (for fuel), we haven't really had too many opportunities. Hope I never have to, though.