SailNet Community - View Single Post - Technique for Smoothing KiwiGrip
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Re: Technique for Smoothing KiwiGrip

"Some customers prefer application with a serrated (notched) trowel commonly used for applying adhesive for tile setting. 3mm (1/8th inch teeth yield a thin, fine finish, much like sand filled topcoats) while ¼ inch teeth yield a thick coating with taller peaks and deeper valleys.

A thin coat will give you a more refined look that is easier to keep clean but offers a shorter wear-life and won’t bridge hairline cracks well. A thicker coat will give
you a more aggressive non-skid with long wear life and great crack-bridging but will be harder to clean.

Practice on cardboard, plywood, or right on your deck to choose a texture that is right for you. Keep in mind that not all surfaces demand the same texture. Cockpit seats, for example may prefer a finer texture than the cockpit floor."

The above information is from Kiwi Grip's web site. I also discovered that you can dilute the paint with up to 10-percent water, which will thin it sufficiently to slow the dry time, and also reduce the size of the peaks and valleys, which is more desirable in areas within the cockpit.

I have to wait for cooler weather before I can finish my decks and cockpit. I have three gallons sitting on the boat waiting for fall to arrive.

Good Luck,

Gary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook