SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailboat ready to cruise?
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013

awaywego is on a distinguished road
Sailboat ready to cruise?

We have been doing our research and searching the listings for the right sailboat to take our little family cruising in a couple years. We've seen a lot of boats in a wide range of conditions--from excellent maintenance and obvious loving care to neglected piles of trash.

I also see a lot of boats that the owners claim are "ready to go cruising." The descriptions go on to say that the boat has either been cruised extensively and is therefore outfitted for cruising mode OR that the boat just underwent a major overhaul/refit/upgrade. I get excited about these because it sounds like they would require less money invested beyond the purchase price. At the same time, however, I read many cruising blogs that talk about when they bought their boat and how they had to do months of work changing the electrical, redoing plumbing, putting in entirely new standing rigging, and on and on and on.

So my question is this: Do boats exist that come "ready to cruise?" Can the listings be believed? I would say that for enough money of course you can get one ready to go, but I see a lot of boats listed even down in MY price range that make this claim.

I understand people want to work on a new boat no matter the condition so as to familiarize themselves with every nook and cranny, but these bloggers and forum posters sound like they are completely rebuilding the boat and its various systems, not just testing things out and getting familiar.