SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013

SalNichols94804 is on a distinguished road
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Given that were probably not a paid, professional seaman under the Jones Act, it isn't likely that you have ANY course of action. You were a volunteer crew. Period. You get what you get...caveat emptor applies. The fact that you are exploring legal remedies as crew in a sailboat race sets off my red flags.

Personally, something tells me that your behavior contributed to this nightmare. Yeah, the owner was an arseh@le, but rather than work with him, you chose to enlist the willing crew to overturn his authority, call the USCG and generally behave...badly.

I've done 6 crossings and two races as skipper. It isn't easy. There will be conflicts, as one would expect when stuffing 5-15 people into a restricted space for 8-15 days. I don't sail with screamers, so I would have opted out at the first sign. But really, who goes to sea with someone that they've never met?

I take great pride in taking care of my crews. But if you grabbed my Satphone and called the USCG because you didn't like one of my decisions...I'd have you arrested when your feet hit solid ground.

Last edited by SalNichols94804; 07-31-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook