SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailboat ready to cruise?
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailboat ready to cruise?

I think aeventyr60's response is perhaps a bit harsh.

Most people are selling boats for one of two reasons:
1) They lost interest/time/funding to use it. Usually they don't come to this decision quickly, so the boat hasn't been maintained for years by the time they decide to sell. The boat might have once been ready to cruise, but it'll now require years of deferred maint to go and probably has a lot of outdated or dead hardware.

2) They are upgrading to a larger boat. They'll probably take some of the gear from the current boat to the new one, so it might be missing some cruising essentials like a good dinghy, maybe the best anchor moved to the new boat, the grill, and other accessories.

Sometimes you get lucky and find someone who discovered that sailing isn't for them pretty quickly, but they owned a well maintained boat. That was pretty much true with my Pearson and it came well equipped and only requiring a little catch up on the maintenance. I still spent long hours of work getting it cruise ready by my definitions though.

alex