SailNet Community - View Single Post - Where are the younger people?
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013
Canuck in Mexico

Guero is on a distinguished road
Re: Where are the younger people?

Hi,

The lifestyle of cruising sailboats contrasts with that of most young professionals who can afford them.

I'm 37 years old and I own a Hunter 410. I'm a bit of a contrast in my sailing club. I'm lucky enough that I can stay out of the office for extended periods of times, but with a compromise, I needed to equip my boat with KVH V3 for broadband internet cause of work obligations. When I want to go anchor at some remote Islands or a zone without phone signal, like I did last week, I went to Alacranes Reef north of Mexican coast, I need to be able to receive calls from employees and check my emails at least twice a day. Not everyone can do that. So, it's much more practical to have a motor yatch, with more space, more accomodations, get somewhere fast, spend week-end, come back quick cause they can't afford to stay there for a week. People have jobs, families, obligations, and time restraints. You also don't have to find a friend that can share shifts with you to sail the boat. Wife factor also, a lot of sailing guys I know have wives who hates it. Mine just starting to enjoy it after 4 years of sailing.

There's also a learning curve associated to it, security instructions to be explained to your guests, have to ask them to move around because you have to do a tack, explain that the boat will now heel and that it's normal, looking at the sheer fear of someone when an unexpected gust heels the boat to 30 degrees for a few second . So if you like to entertain guests, a sailboat is not an ideal choice. Regarding fishing, you can't also go fish at 50 miles of the coast in 2 hours. The draft impose restrictions to where you can anchor and how near from the beach you need to be to anchor. More restrictions.

My reason for sailing over motoring even though I like a good fast plane on friend's boats? My sailboat is the only thing I've that I can't go fast. It's the only place I disconnect my brain from the stress, except when I need to do quick checks of my work emails on the sat internet. But I can see why a lot of guy interested in recreational boating would not look at sailboats.

With that said, I know a lot of young sailors and also live boards in their 30's, but they are a minority I believe.

My 2 cents.
Sold: 1982 Catalina 25 (Polaris)

Last edited by Guero; 08-01-2013 at 01:45 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook