SailNet Community - View Single Post - What Is A Boat Really Worth?
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Re: What Is A Boat Really Worth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
Would you accept my "Above Normal Operating Condition for it's age boat", and pay me a premium? Would you pay a fraction of the upgrade costs to have a boat in this condition?
Yes, I would if it could be proven and is not mere puffery.

I bought my boat knowing that it had specific problems, revealed from a previous survey and my own, and many desirable features. Any knowledgeable buyer knows older boats are not perfect and have issues. I was o.k. with hull blisters, a worn stuffing box and a hull deflection in return for a working inboard diesel, bimini and wheel. Why not reveal and discuss the inevitable issues, instead of being sneaky about it?

Again, I have no problem with a seller who wants to sell "as is", at a DISCOUNT. A seller with a boat in cream puff condition should be happy to reveal that condition and receive a premium price.

The problem is the sellers who want to have it both ways, make misrepresentations about the condition without any potential liability for their statements. It is the buyer who spends all the money to discover the seller's deception.

The market has changed. Buyers are now in control and should negotiate the transaction to their advantage. Anyone who wants to be led around by the nose by a broker and told "this is the way we always do it", is free to be screwed for his or her ignorance.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook