SailNet Community - View Single Post - Donating my Cal 29 to Charity
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road
Re: Donating my Cal 29 to Charity

Take the 4k and run!!!!

There is no way to know the actual value of a boat this old. And a boat with a mixed bag of improvements and work needed to be done. Granted the boat gave you and your family a lot of good times but to a objective buyer it is what it is. And what it is, is an old boat.

IMO, you are getting in over your head offering financing. Even at full price, 8k ain't a ton of dough. If someone can't come up with that amount they aren't the kind of people you want to be trusting to make payments. Boating on a shoestring budget usually doesn't work out. That, and what are you going to do if they stop paying you? Sue them long distance? How much time and money is that going to take? And if you do sue them how are you going to defend yourself against claims that you defrauded them by misrepresenting the condition of the boat? Of course it's BS!!! It just gets so deep that even hip waders aren't enought to deal with the mire you are setting yourself up for.

I'd take the 4k and consider the rest of whatever you have into the boat as an investment in family entertainment. IOW, money well spent. Then move on.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook