SailNet Community - View Single Post - Garmin and Navionics Apps
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Garmin and Navionics Apps

I have both the Garmin and the Navionics Apps. I was reluctant about getting them at first, but I gotta tell you, I now do ALL my quick plotting off of them and I use them as backups.

I will give you my opinion on the two, so take it for just that. THe Navionics is cheaper and is easier to use. You can also get updates easier on it because it seems to be a smaller file. However, if I had to pick one, the Garmin App would def be the one I would choose.

I still have not figured out all the Garmin stuff, but I got it with the weather overlay also. It is very fast and I think the maps and options are better and more detailed. It is a little more difficult to figure out, but with the time, it is worth the investment.

Why would you purchase these if you have a Charplotter (or even have it on your IPad)?

For one, there have been many times we are hanging out with other sailors and inevitably (esp as cruisers) the discussion of anchorages and places to go comes up. I have also gotten great tidbits on shoaling and areas to watch out for. By having it on your phone, you can pull it right out and discuss it. Pretty much everyone carries their phone everywhere now days.

Second, it is MUCH quicker. Now, I only have an E80, but there is no comparison between the speed of plotting on the Iphone versus the Raymarine. Much faster on the Iphone... basically seamless. SO while I still lay in my course in my chartplotter, I can do my planning quicker with the app first.

Third, it gives a backup. Also, the charts are a bit different between the Navionics (Raymarine) and the Garmin. It is especially apparent for Bahamas stuff.

Anyways, for those going cruising, I would really check these things out. I think the Garmin app is running $50ish dollars plus like $4 for the overlay. The overlay works 'ok', but requires to be scrolled out to see it. Worth $4 though.

The Navionics is half of that IIRC. But like I said, I think the Garmin app is a bit better.

Others are free to throw in any other thoughts.

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook