SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolph555 View Post
I was asked to run that race team and got Don Souther and Duncon Harrison as teammates.... Duncon has been on 4 transPacs and won on Willow Wind (Cal 40)... they wanted me to trade Duncon for the 86yr old woman!!! The owner (in a text) said she made for a good drinking partner!.... Talked to Don and Duncon and under the advise of Don's brother Bob, Sam Heck and Merry, Steve Tregor (Grand Illusion), Richard Parlette(White Knight), and practically everyone else we ran for the hills!!! That boat should never have left the dock!!!... we all feel sorry for the crew RD and Jake and believe there is truth in that report as I have raced that boat to PV and dealt with these people before!.. they are decent people but their flair-ups are notorious!

Aquarius passed quite easily the pre-race inspection, as it was campaigned as a live-aboard boat that races and therefore be measured/weighed as is (compared to another similar boat by the inspector it passed specs.) Unfortunately, the boat had no real sail arsenal and being a virtual last-minute entry it somewhat slipped its way through the cracks.... the account of RD crewman was right in the fact that the owner and friend had very little spin exp., in fact, we had the same problems in the PV race although we managed a 2nd.
(FYI)...cheers, Randy
Thanks for the details Randy. That puts the whole thing a bit more into perspective.

But obviously you haven't seen the 86 y.o. on the coffee grinder after a case or two of beer. She's a madman.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook