SailNet Community - View Single Post - What Is A Boat Really Worth?
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Re: What Is A Boat Really Worth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgenl View Post
A lot of folks here seem to be overly worried about being out the cost of a survey.

A survey is $20-25/ft which is less than $1K for a 40' boat. Haul out is added to that of course.

Welcome to the world of boat ownership.

$1K is only a boat buck. - better get used to spending some money.
Yes and No. Yes the cost of a survey is small (tiny) potatoes compared to the cost of owning a boat. But no, you should not survey every boat that looks interesting. Certainly don't listen to a broker who say "make and offer and see what happens." You should only survey a boat that you truly truly want to own.

IMHO, the survey was a last sanity check so that I wasn't buying a piece of junk. When I bought my last (and still current) boat I told the broker "here is my offer, it's low, but it's honest and I promise that I'm not going to renegotiate after the survey. Either the boat passes or I walk away. So present my offer to the seller and let's see what happens." The owner accepted. The survey revealed a number of things that I needed to fix, but no real surprises. I wanted to know that the engine and trans were sound, that the hull, keel, and rudder were in good condition, and that the gear listed in the ad was indeed present on the boat. After that we closed on the boat and I sailed her home (in December, in the Northeast, but that's another story).

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook