SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013
Banned

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
By the amount of BS I'd say his fingers are well rested.
Said by someone with zero hands on steel boat building experience,and zero experience in cruising in and maintaining a steel boat for any length of time. Not a reliable source of any info on steel boats.
I believe he lives that "Land" life", where you borrow money to buy things you don't need, to impress people you don't like.

Further back, Bob made a comment about 'cheap boats vs good boats A good boat is one with good planning, based on many decades of cruising in and maintaining a similar type of boat, especially true of steel boats . Without that you can throw all the money in the world at a boat and it wont fit the definition . Steel is steel, gumwood is gumwood, epoxy is epoxy. Same stuff whether a cheap boat or expensive. Salvaged plywood which has been exposed for along time without delaminating is far more reliable than something out of a lumberyard which is untested. Older fir plywood was all fir, new stuff has alder cores.
In many ways , how good a boat is has little to do with how much money one throws at it , and everything to do with the thinking which goes into her, and the experience that thinking is based on. Don't expect much of that from someone who has never built, cruised or owned a steel boat for any length of time.

In Rodger Mcaffe's book, the author says his father, a diesel mechanic told him that a rebuilt diesel is far more reliable than a new one. Casters have told me that there is no predicting or determining how good a casting is until it is put into use. I have seen new diesels having problems with castings in a short time.

Last edited by Brent Swain; 08-01-2013 at 10:31 PM.