SailNet Community - View Single Post - Replacing engine mounts
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013

johnharch is on a distinguished road
Re: Replacing engine mounts

I just replaced mine this spring. It was far easier than I anticipated and I did them alone. I used a lot of short 2X4 blocks and one long 4X4 for a leaver. By putting the 4X4 leaver under the front end of the engine and blocking appropriately, I was able to sit on it and lift the engine enough to easily replace both front mounts. For the rear mounts, I ran the 4X4 across the seats, tied a rope from the center of it to the the coupling on the rear of the transmission. Then by lifting the ends and putting 2X4 blocks under the ends of the 4X4, the engine was raised and the mounts easily replaced.

Don't forget to uncouple the shaft first.

Tips: ( that I learned too late)
1. before starting, mark the outline of the base of the mount with a sharpie. Positioning the new ones will then be a breeze.

2. Don't move the bottom nut on the mount. Then when you get the old ones out, you can easily set them side by side with the new ones and adjust the height of the new ones before installing them.

3. Make damn sure you have exactly the right mounts before starting. Check the stud diameter and length to make sure they are the same--and of course, the numbers.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to johnharch For This Useful Post:
YankeePSC34 (08-02-2013)