SailNet Community - View Single Post - Garmin and Navionics Apps
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2013
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road
Re: Garmin and Navionics Apps

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
What charts are the various Android apps using ? I need an Android App that uses C-Map charts. US NOOA charts are of no interest, I need coverage for Oceania.
Andrew, As you know, I can't use NOOA charts either unless I'm in the States but Navionics has a version for Australia & New Zealand. They also have a version for Asia & Africa.
Mobile | Navionics
I use an iPhone but the apps are quite similar. The app won't use C-Maps but it has what I think is it's own good quality vector version. You would just select the areas you want within the app and it downloads the appropriate charts to your device for offline use. I don't have the Android version but I have used it a fair bit. Up here it includes the tides and currents so I would guess it includes the ones for your area.
Aside from my sailing, I spend much of my time on various workboats with no chartplotters or radar and my Navionics app works very well. It does not have a night colours function (which it should) but turning down the iphone brightness does the trick. I have compared the charts side by side with the C-maps on my laptop running OpenCPN and my Standard Horizon plotter on many occasions in some very tricky spots ever since this app became available years ago and I would say it is quite accurate. I am generally in a hurry when I'm working so I just hop in the boat, turn it on and go, so I don't use the plotting functions to a great extent but I have used it numerous times and it's quite user friendly and I think it works well. I do like this app! It is simple to use and I particularly like how the tides and currents section works overall.

Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook