SailNet Community - View Single Post - Going to look at a Watkins 27.....
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten
Re: Going to look at a Watkins 27.....

Wow! Where'd two months go?! ')
I suppose spending nearly every weekend aboard has left my internal calendar a bit confused. Barely managing to be home 3 days a week takes the term "weekend" to new dimensions.
Most of the (minor) issues with the boat have been addressed. Notice I *didn't* say completed!
THe short, 85% jib is working well. I took advantage of a few trim tips and the main is shaped better and puling like it should be. I flew the Genny last weekend and found just how difficult it is to run it alone.Ended up pulling it down and swapping into the short jib, then making a near 5 knot beam reach at nearly 5 knots with a bit of heel. Let the main out some to reduce heel and calm the First Mate andstill made 4.2 knots. Fast enuff for me at this point. I'll save the Genny for steadier and lighter breezes.
Still having some troubles with the transmission controls. The Teleflex wants to slip out of the clamp at the shifter often; regardless of how tight I make the bolts! I'm loathe to make anymore permanent repairs, as I'm going to change out and move the throttle/shifter to the cabin bulkhead. Still trying to find inexpensive controls to work with.
The wall unit I made-up for the drop table and shelves has worked out perfectly! Having been in use for the past two months, it is the most useful change ,,,to date

Projects completed, or nearly so:
Access hatch covers under the settee cushions, some varnished, some not yet
Sole bilge hatch and access covers fitted and urethaned.
Engine compartment hatch made-up, insulated, stained and finished. Quite a bit quieter aboard when motoring now.
All the running lites are functional, soon to be converted to LED
LED replacement bulb strips in the original interior lite fixtures
New, replacement charger installed and operating at recommended levels to maintain the 180 A/H battery
New lettering astern with the proper home port listed
New sheer stripe in vinyl tape tp match lettering and Company logo/name added back to the end of the stripe. enuff ape left to do lower stripe once on the hard.
New white safety lines run in stanchions.
Bits'n'bobs of deck areas sanded, compounded and polished
Teak oiled.

mo' later
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook