SailNet Community - View Single Post - So. CA and Live aboards
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2007

JagsBch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailguy42
When I bought my boat here in Marina del Rey I tried to be above board and would tell the dock masters that I was looking for a live aboard slip. Not one location would accept me. In frustration I decided to just get a slip and deal with issues as they arose. The next time I applied for a slip I was told, “no live aboard’s” to which I promptly smiled and responded with “no problem”. I signed my one year lease and moved the boat into the slip.

For months I kept a low profile, used dark curtains to mask interior lights and got to know some of the other sneak aboards that were around. As time went on I slipped into a more normal routine. The dock master noticed me around more often but never said a word about my being there and in time we even became friends. I’ve been living aboard for 5 years now, have the greatest neighbors, and even co-host the annual 4th of July party complete with a band. I think if you keep your boat maintained, the dock clear and you are a friendly, upstanding kind of person there is no issue...

Best of luck

Humm, if all goes well I’ll be heading out some time this year to start cruising and my 45 foot slip will be empty… do I hear any offers? J
Do you still use the dark curtains?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook