SailNet Community - View Single Post - leak-proof keel stepped mast idea
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnewsboy
Maybe I am just lucky, .....but I don't have this problem. My original C&C spar does not seem to leak.

I followed Don Casey's excellent advice and used a section of a tractor tire tube for a mast boot. (It has to go on before you step the mast.) This is clamped to the mast and to the mast collar with a stainless hose clamp, and the luff groove is filled with goop at the the top of the boot.
I think you're lucky, yes...

Here is a picture of my mast boot (if thats what you call it). It is sold as a mast boot, specifically for my mast, by sparcraft. I have the mast track sealed with black sikaflex, and water still get in. We even made a huge lip around the mast deck hole. Water still gets in. Not a lot, but gets in.

It runs along the inside and the outside of the mast.

Tired of this problem for many many many years, when Giulietta was built, the solution was very simple. I moved the fron bulkhead back, and installed the mast inside the shower in the front head. It still leaks, but who cares????

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook