SailNet Community - View Single Post - Confused about which oil weight to use
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Confused about which oil weight to use

As long as the Motorcraft has the right rating, it's a Ford product and probably ok. You might want to shy away from the generic Walmart brand although they are probably all ok in reality. I'd be a bit leery about an off brand's QC and would worry that what it says on the can might not be what is actually inside. Could be a REAL expensive error to save a couple of bucks. I use Pennzoil in my cars and trucks. My last Subaru was still running fine at 365,000 miles when I traded it. Changing oil religiously in cars or boats, diesels or gassers is the key to long engine life. With Yanmar, it's 100 hours which comes around pretty fast. I never go cruising without at least 3 oil changes and filters on board.

The old CD rating is listed for Yanmar diesels. It's not really available anymore but the HEAVY DUTY DIESEL C ratings are what you need to look for.http://www.api.org/certifications/en...010_120210.pdf Light automotive diesel oil won't cut it.

That's a perfect engine for your boat.

Last edited by smurphny; 08-02-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook